Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Paradigm Shift

The doctor had just informed me that they would be putting my grandmother back on the ventilator after 36 hours of struggle and signs of improvement. I felt bitterly disappointed. I stepped out of the hospital along with my mother to digest this news over a cup of chai from the street vendor.

As we were ordering the chai, the parking guy approached us and started complaining that we had paid him Rs 10/- less the last time we had parked the car.

“This is not the time for discussion.  Come later.”

“But I want my Rs 10, “he persisted.

I lost my temper. I yelled at him. He went away. I was seething with anger. My grandmother was battling with death and all he was worried about was his Rs 10/-.

Later at night, when I had calmed down, I felt guilty for having spoken to him so rudely.

So when I saw him again, I told him, “I am sorry that I spoke to you so rudely. We had just received some really bad news about my grandmother admitted in the hospital. It was just not the time to discuss money.”

“Aah! I can understand. I am sorry. It is bad for all of us though. I work hard 20 hours a day to put together the money for the treatment of my 3 year old daughter who is suffering from cancer. She has already gone through three rounds of chemotherapy at AIIMS. Each ten rupee is important for me.”

I was dumbstruck. It was a paradigm shift for me.


I keep getting amazed with the resilience of the human spirit. The challenges and the pain that we deal with willingly and happily!

No comments:

Post a Comment